4 Reasons Most Sales People SUCK


My daughter woke up at 4:51 a.m. this morning. She wanted me to go to her room and lay with her. I did until it was time for me to wake up at 5:30 a.m. to get the day started. The minute I woke up my mind jumped to one thing:
90% of sales people suck.
Hang with me here because we coach thousands of sales professionals every week and there are four things most are really bad at:

  1. They don’t work on their “explanation of value” therefore leaving them with nothing valuable or differentiated to say when they get in front of a prospect. When they do increase their activity they blow it because they don’t look or say anything any different placing them squarely in a commodity trap.
  2. They don’t prospect or use a real selling system therefore they have no real plan to acquire customers. Most use one to three strategies which are not even close to enough to drive new business in a saturated world. Our Legacy Selling System uses 14–20 different strategies in conjunction and collusion with each other to drive qualified leads and increase our “Person of Interest” score.
  3. They don’t follow up with leads the recommended 7–15 times it takes to close a prospect to a client. Most sales people want a “one call close” and seldom go back to prospects more than two to three times. Stats tell us that it takes 7–15 pivots and touches 80% of the time to get a prospect to close. This is based on the laws of attraction to something, object impermanence, and the current of the urgent. The most dangerous aspect for most sales people is “short term thinking” vs. long term positioning. When they do go back to potentials they do so as “relationship builders” vs. “challengers” and resonate vs. reframe the prospect not creating enough tension for them to actually get off the fence.
  4. They rarely, if ever, call a customer back or spend any valuable time with them when they actually get them as a customer. This is called “windshield selling” where a sales person is always focused on the next sale and diminishes the importance of the sale they just made. In most cases the referral rate is 5.7 new customers for every great job done with the current customer but most sales professionals do not move current customers to what’s called a “Net Promoter” (person satisfied with the service) or to an “Advocate” (a person who is actively promoting without being solicited).

These four reasons are why less than 2% of the sales professionals out there dominate the other 98%.
Will you do these four things this week if you are in sales?

Related Posts

No results found